It is one of the most loved hill stations in Idukki district, Kerala. It is also believed to be the largest tea growing region in South India. This place is gorgeous and hence attracts a large number of travel lovers. Surrounded by beautiful gigantic green mountains and tall lush green trees, Munnar is considered the best and one of the popular hill stations in the state of Kerala with picturesque beauty and mesmerizing landscapes. It is a place where you can spot on highly endangered species like Nilgiri Thar or the Neelakurinji and many more epic species. Munnar is divided into Old Munnar and New Munnar. Old Munnar is the area where the tourist information office is located along with the bus stand and most of the guest houses. New Munnar is the area which is more uber, where there are various shops selling hand -made chocolates, clothes and other antiques. You cannot miss out on the food in Munnar which offers amazing delicacies and especially for those who are non -vegetarian food lovers.
How to Reach:
You can reach Munnar by firstly traveling to Kochi by air and then taking a bus or taxi which only takes 2-3 hours. Or you can travel by train to Kochi and then book a taxi. Since Munnar, has good road connectivity, you can reach here by hiring a taxi.
When to visit:
Since it is a hill station, the climate remains chilly most of the time but visiting this place during the peak of the monsoon season can be a good experience.
Things to do:
• A stay at Tree House will give you an experience full of thrill and beautiful memories to cherish for a lifetime.
• You can also have some adventurous fun by grooming yourselves for trekking and camping.
• There are various picnic spots that offer fun activities like rock climbing and rappelling.
• You cannot miss out on the food in Munnar which offers amazing delicacies and especially for those are non -vegetarian lovers
Places to visit:
• The Attukal Waterfall – Located nearby the Munnar town, the Attukal Waterfall is a majestic waterfall that also happens to be a picnic spot and is frequented by various tourists. This fall is adored by adventure seekers since on your way to the falls you get to experience thrill and adventure.
• Photo Point- This place is very close to Mattupetty Dam, is a very attractive destination and is also known as the shooting point. The name itself makes it clear that the place is famous because it offers various beautiful landscapes to tourists. Nearby the Photo Point are the various shops that offer tea, coffee, spices, cinnamon, cloves and pepper, and homemade chocolates.
• Rose Garden – This garden is spread over 2 acres of land brimming with a variety of plants and also houses different spices, crops like cardamom and vanilla and a variety of other fruit trees. The beautiful species of roses in the garden have the potential to mesmerize anyone towards its beauty.
• Elephant Arrival Spot – To experience some thrill you should definitely visit this place where you can enjoy your ride on an elephant by sitting on his back. These elephants then take you into the wilderness of the region where you can explore the beauty of nature amidst the lush greenery.
• Kundala Lake – Amidst the lush greenery and wilderness is situated in this lake where you can enjoy riding on a boat. For nature enthusiasts, this place is no less than a paradise and not only have you got to witness the beauty of nature but also witness different varieties of birds flying over the lake.
• Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary – This wildlife sanctuary is adorned with lush greenery and a wide range of animals and endangered flora and fauna too, including the Great Grizzled Squirrel of India. All around the sanctuary is spread deciduous forest which is totally pollution free where you can enjoy the fresh air of nature.
• Lakkom Waterfall – This waterfall falls on your way to the Chinnar Sanctuary and is located at a distance of 60km from Munnar. The charms of this fall can easily mesmerize anyone, the rapid flow of the waterfall and the lush greenery surrounding it is one of the beautiful things to experience. The clear water and the cold breeze blowing when touches your face is quite rejuvenating.